Audible recently released a new feature for iOS users that allows listeners to create short clips of their favorite audiobooks, share them on social media, and send them directly to friends. This feature (called Clips, naturally), also gives Rights Holders and Producers a unique tool to promote their audiobooks. Watch the video below to learn how to create a clip of your audiobook, then check out a handful of suggestions for leveraging clips in your marketing efforts.
Here are a few additional tips about this feature before you get started:
- Clips may only be created from audiobooks that are in your Audible library. If your audiobook isn’t in your library, consider using one of your promo codes to add it to your collection.
- Clips can only be created for audiobooks longer than 50 minutes.
- Each clip can be up to 45 seconds long, and you can share up to five minutes total of each audiobook in your library. Once five total minutes of Clips from a book have been shared, you can’t share beyond those five minutes. But don’t worry, your fans can still make additional clips of your book and share them!
- While the feature is exclusive to iOS and Windows Phone users, Android users can expect an update in the coming weeks that will include the Clips tool.
And, here are just a few ideas for making Clips a part of your audiobook promotion strategy:
- Clip Scavenger Hunt: Challenge your fans to search your audiobook for a specific scene or phrase. The first five fans to clip the section, share it with their social media networks, and notify you could get a prize.
- Clip Contest: Compel your listeners to create clips of your audiobooks that remind them of a friend or family member and share it with them on social media, with each “share” counting as an entry into a giveaway that you host on your site.
- Social Media: Share clips from your audiobooks to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or any of your favorite social media sites. Find areas of your book that you can tie to holidays, current events, trending topics —anything that feels relevant and fun!
- Newsletters: Drop a URL to your favorite scene into your newsletter blast to your fans.
- Blog Post Inspiration: Create a series of blog posts that profile the characters in your books, and link to an audio quote from each within the profile.
These are just a few fun ways to highlight the unique power of audio to build your author brand and sell more audiobooks. We bet you can come up with all kinds of creative uses for Clips. Share your own ideas in the comments.
Subscribe to the ACX blog to get the latest audiobook promotion ideas in your inbox.